Freelance writing can be pretty demanding. Most of us tend to work hard at our chosen career. Because we aren’t distracted by folks in the office, office politics and office gossip, we often put in more concentrated hours that folks with typical jobs.
In fact, we tend to be the kind of boss that demands a great deal.
One way I give myself space and time to recharge is through what I call “I almost feel guilty about these pleasures.” This is unofficial time off – time that I sneak for me.
I suspect feeling almost guilty about each of these adds to my enjoyment. Here are my current 15 guilty pleasures:
- A full day off to read a mystery – a whole Thursday works wonders for me.
- Boutique coffee at home – the only way I can justify the expense is simply “I want it.” My current favorite is Turkish coffee from Cafe Moto. Yes, the do mail order.
- Chocolate – dark chocolate with as much cocoa as I can find. One square at a time.
- Extra time for my own writing – I have projects… just like all writers
- An afternoon with Netflix – Currently I’m into the Property Brothers and Murder She Wrote.
- Coffee and cake with a fellow writer – to talk writing of course.
- Coffee and cake with a non writing friend – to talk about anything BUT writing of course.
- A stolen hour in a thrift store with a $20 bill – need I say more?
- A regular volunteer gig – in the middle of the day.
- Buying a dog to get away from the computer – I’ve been tempted, but I’ve refrained so far.
- A stolen hour with 21-year-old granddaughter talking writing – at a family dinner and it was lovely!
- Postponing the dishes to read – reading is a theme of mine.
- Naps – naps are often an excuse to read.
- Rescue cats – I now have two rescue cats, Toulouse and Dudley. We’ve lived together not quite 90 days and adult cats are sure different than kittens. Would have more if I thought I could work it out.
- Train trips – I just love riding on trains!
Now, what are your guilty pleasures? Share them with us in comments.
Write well and often,