I answered a question about blogging and writer’s websites yesterday. But what if you really want to start a blog? How do you pick a topic? Here are 5 to dos to consider as you pick your blog topic.
- Do you want to make money? If you’re hoping you’ll make money, go carefully. While Darren Rowse and a few others have proven it’s possible to make six figures and more, it’s rare. It takes some luck and a whole bunch of hard work. On the other hand, if you’d be happy to pay for your hosting and maybe a bit more, that’s close to easy.
- Do you have a passion? You’ll hear this over and over again – start a blog based on your passion. That might be kayaking or zoo keeping or who knows what. There are two reasons for blogging your passion. The first is you’ll stay interested so you can sustain blogging – at least a post a week in my opinion. The second is if you’re passionate about it there are probably others who are as well and they are the readers you’re addressing.
- Do some research on your topic. Darren Rowse’s How to Choose a Niche Topic For Your Blog lists multiple ways to check on topics.
- Do spend some time planning. Blogging well requires some commitment. Do some planning so you do it well. And it’s okay if in the planning you decide you don’t want a blog.
With these in place you’re probably ready to start a niche blog. There are two more things to do before you start.
- Do give some thought to a domain name. Domain names are cheap – I use 1and1. A domain name should be a .com. It should be easy to remember, easy to spell and easy to hear over the phone.
- Do a self-hosted blog. Although you can certainly start your blog on Blogger for free, if you’re really serious you’ll find a solid domain name, some hosting and do it right from the beginning. QuickOnlineTips lists 10 reasons to self-host. Yes, it’s a bit of a fuss in the beginning, but you’ll be glad you did.
Of course, this is the ideal. I stumbled into blogging way back when and decided I love it. That might work for you too.
How do you chose a topic to blog about?
Cartoon created at http://www.toondoo.com/