Monday I asked “Would you be willing to pay for the jobs posted here?” with links to a survey I’m running for maybe another week.
I’ve been surprised by several things, including:
- Way more than I expected have filled out the survey. Thanks so much for that!
- Those of you who are willing to pay are willing to pay more than I expected. The average is closer to $10 a month than I would have ever guessed.
- You’ve suggested some job sources I didn’t have – I’ve added those to the list.
Your comments are helpful too. Those who would be willing to pay recognize the labor that goes into each list, find value in the list and are willing to at least try paying for a month or two.
Most of those who are unwilling to pay say they are unwilling because they are willing to spend the time to do the searching themselves. A few flat out won’t pay anyone for job listings, echoing what up to now has been my advice.
There have been some suggestions I want to address:
- Better jobs – post suggestions for better jobs; I’d like to see those too.
- Exclusive jobs – I don’t know how to get those unless I set up a classified ad board – then I’ve got the marketing problem, but I am open to suggestions about how to get exclusive jobs.
- Ask for donations. I have and have gotten occasional checks and PayPal payments, but never close to even a minimum hourly wage.
- Charge annually. Hadn’t thought of that, but I’d have to charge more than I’m comfortably asking in one shot.
- Stop posting gigs altogether. Those who suggest this seem to feel the jobs I post are not good enough. These comments, however, are far out weighed by those who would pay.
- Go back to 3x a week. If I did that I’d still spend the same amount of time. What’s changed is the number of gigs s0 instead of 40-70 a day it would be more like 80-140 every other day. Very little time savings for me, and a way bigger list than I’d be willing to wade through if I were looking. Another way to say it is what used to take me an hour or less now takes an hour-and-a-half or more.
- UK Jobs. At least a couple of people in the UK are willing to pay IF I can find more leads there. I’d need help locating those, but can certainly add them to the list.
- Using Aggregators. I’ve been experimenting using Aggregators for this site. Heck, if I could automate it reasonably well we’d all have what we want. So far it hasn’t worked well. I scan each ad for a several things. See 8 Freelance Writing Job Ads I Won’t Post.
The jury is still out. I want to see more survey results and more comments here or on the survey itself. And thanks for the info so far, truly.
Image from http://www.sxc.hu