My hunch is every freelance writer and blogger sometimes get stuck for ideas.
Here are 33 ways a writer can generate ideas. These aren’t the only ways of course, but may spark a new notion for you.
- Look out your window – what do you see?
- What do you wish you’d see looking out your window?
- Read posts from a year ago and rewrite.
- Re-purpose blogs you’ve already written.
- Google for blogs in your topic and see what ideas you get.
- Try the same search in Bing.
- Technorati is a blog directory that can be useful when generating ideas.
- The article Ideas for writers are everywhere works for blogs as well as other writing.
- Ask yourself what your readers need to know that you learned early in your career.
- What question would you most like answered? Find out and blog about it.
- Attend a workshop and write blogs based on what you learned there.
- Join an association and scan their newsletter for blog ideas.
- Put together a survey. Google docs makes it easy.
- Blog about the results of your survey.
- What do you wish you’d said? Say it.
- What do you wish you’d read? Write it
- Congratulate someone.
- Ask a blogger for a guest post and let them choose the topic.
- Ask your readers for ideas – what do they want you to write about?
- Read blogs outside your topic – what strikes your fancy and why?
- What are you reading for recreation? Write about it.
- What are you listening to? Write about it.
- Where have you been recently?
- Where would you like to go?
- How would you like to travel?
- What angers you about travel?
- What would you like to buy?
- What do you wish you hadn’t bought?
- If money were no object what would you do? Write about it.
- Keep a list of ideas for when you’re mind feels blank.
- Ask someone.
Here are four blogs that also discuss generating ideas:
- The Key to Innovative Business Ideas: Cross-Pollination at copyblogger.com
- How to Generate Blog Post Ideas in Seconds – a 15 year old wrote this 😉
- 7 Steps To Creativity – How To Have Ideas – at Write To Done
- 33 Blog Post Ideas for the Personal Brand-Building Blogger – the similar number is… coincidental
How do you generate ideas?