Almost a year ago I posted Blogs About Negotiation. There are some great and helpful links there. Here are more:
- Negotiation And Freelance Writers – An Art – I make some suggestions about negotiation.
- Carol Tice offers 10 Negotiation Tips for Writers which has excellent advice.
- How to Negotiate a Creative Commons License: Ten Steps. An excellent article if you’re even curious about the Creative Commons license.
- How to Negotiate Better Freelance Writing Contracts – a good, solid article about negotiation for writers. I like this one.
- Demystifying Contracts: What Every Writer Should Know – an overview of what you need to know about book publishing contracts.
I can’t think of anything in writing for clients and/or publishers that isn’t up for negotiation. It takes self-confidence to do this well. Self-confidence is a positive attitude about yourself and your work you can build. Negotiation is a skill you can learn. I’ve found the two often go together. As my self-confidence improved so did my ability to negotiate.
What’s your experience with negotiation?