[tuesday]If you’re involved in writing or editing a book you also need to be at least aware of the design of book covers and the internal design of the book itself.
The cover, is of course, the book’s billboard, and has huge influence on potential readers.
The internal design is more subtle, but I suspect good design improves word-of-mouth promotion way more than we realize.
Some time ago I posted Book Covers & Book Design. Those links still work and are worth pursuing. So are these:
- Book Covers Anonymous – Great title; looks like this could be a good blog.
- Steven Seighman has an occasional blog that deals with book design. He’s got some interesting stuff here.
- If you want to look at book covers for ideas butterflyrocket has a good selection. There’s other info on design on this blog and some fun stuff too.
- The Book Cover Archive Blog is plain nifty. It runs hand in hand with The Book Cover Archive which is also a great resource – a ton of covers to spark your creativity.
- Judge a Book by its Cover is a wonderful, eclectic collection. You’re sure to find something to love and something to hate.
- BookLust, a title I can’t resist has a section on book design, but the whole blog is worth spending some fun time on.
- BeyondTheCovers looks mostly like book covers but if you read as well as look you’ll also find some book design information.
- The Good Design Book is a blog documenting the design of a book. Worth watching.
- Stephen Tiano is a book designer whose blog discusses layout, columns, type and other elements of book design.