Grants For Writers – Resource Roundup Tuesday

Yes, there is grant money out there for writers. It’s not easy to get. In fact, until recently I’ve often thought it would take the same effort to get a grant as to write something that would sell. It may be, however, that I’ll be looking for a grant to create some time spaciousness around a book I’m writing.

Here are some resources about grants for you:

Demand Studios Offers Grants to Writers – not a huge amount and you need to write for them, but a nice gesture.

Arts Writers Grant Program – from $5,000 to $50,000 in five categories.

79 Grant Writing Resources – not a listing of grants, but an amazing amount of information about how to write the grant applications – writing grants can be a lucrative slot for freelance writers.

Mira’s List is a blog that lists grants, residencies, fellowships etc. for writers and other artists.

Awards, grants, and fellowships – a long list of resources for grants.

For years, Hope Clark has helped writers find grants and such with her excellent FundsforWriters. She has both free and paid (reasonable price if you’re serious about find a grant) information.

Have you ever applied for a grant? Tell us about it.

It's only fair to share...Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponShare on RedditEmail this to someone

GMJ September 28, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Thank you very much for the information on grant writing. So far, I have not applied for any grants; however, I am about to start the process of applying for a writers grant.

Anne Wayman September 29, 2014 at 7:05 am

Good luck gmj, let us know how it goes.

jorgekafkazar January 6, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Anne, the FundsForWriters link is broken.
.-= jorgekafkazar´s last blog ..Tenirax, Ch V =-.

Anne January 6, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Thanks, jorge… it’s fixed now – amazing what leaving of the h in http does ;(

Rebecca January 6, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Thanks for the information on grants. I have not applied for a grant, but have “toyed” with the idea of it. Once I decide on a project, I’ll apply for grants. Grant writing is another genre of writing that I’ve considered adding to my freelance writing. Not sure if I will or not. I wrote a business plan and proposals, I’m sure I could write grant letters.
.-= Rebecca´s last blog ..Blogger Beware When You Guest Blog =-.

Janet Shan January 5, 2010 at 11:34 am

Anne, I have been visiting your site quite often and thank you for this post on grants and grantwriting. I have been doing some research in grantwriting and want to add it to my freelance writing business. Thank you for this great post!
.-= Janet Shan´s last blog ..President Barack Obama Appoints Transgendered Woman, Amanda Simpson, to Technical Advisor Position =-.

Anne January 5, 2010 at 1:18 pm