≡ Menu

What Kind Of Insurance Do I Need As A Writer? Ask Anne The Pro Writer

questions-about-writingHi Anne,

I have been a part-time freelance writer and editor for the past 4 years.  I don’t have a company name. I don’t even have a Web site. It’s all through word-of-mouth and client referrals.

In the back of my mind, I’ve been wondering if I need to consider some type of insurance policy to protect me “just in case.”  But I’m not even sure what type of policy I would need.  What are your thoughts?

Thanks so much!


Hi JW,

Geeze! I don’t know! Not really. I suspect it depends on what you mean by ‘just in case.’ I have some notion that there is errors and omissions insurance.

A google search gets this from http://www.sfbar.org/glossary/eoinsurance.htm which is the Bar Association in San Francisco:

What is Errors and Omission insurance?

Regardless of what kind of business you own, a customer can claim that something you did on their behalf was done incorrectly, and that this error cost them money or caused them harm. This insurance is designed to help cover your defense costs and ultimately the final judgment if you do not win the case.

I do include in my ghostwriting contracts a clause that holds me harmless if I write something that’s untrue or libelous, but I don’t know how well it actually protects me.

Who knows more about this than I do that’s willing to write a guest article on it for us?


Image from http://www.sxc.hu

{ 8 comments… add one }
  • Hi Anne,

    When I freelanced as a full-charge bookkeeper and notary public, I had both professional liability and E & O insurance. The E & O was a state requirement, but the professional liability was for additional

    As Lori mentioned, a good policy will include both at a reasonable cost.

    As you mentioned, there should also be a clause in the agreement stipulating any liability limitations of the professional relationship, esp. for sole proprietors.

    If needed, I can write an article addressing both types of insurance and why either or both may be a good idea.

    • Anne

      Hi Paula, would love an article from you… no play, maybe some glory, 500-800 words and your bio with a link. How does that sound?

  • Hi Anne. I did a VERY quick search – looks like it’s a UK thing. Wikipedia has a bit of info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_protection_insurance

    Professional liability is another matter entirely (and sounds scary to me!). 🙂

    SpikeTheLobster’s last blog post..The ScrawlBug Giveaway

    • Anne

      Spike if I didn’t have grandkids in the us… 4 of them… I would be tempted by the uk or costa rica… we are so owned by corporations at the moment it’s really hard sometimes.

  • Ooo! I know this one!

    You want to look into professional liability coverage. Depending on the insurance company, that may or may not include errors and omissions (good old E&O).

    Lori’s last blog post..Close the Door, Open Another

    • Anne

      so do you want to tell us more about professional liability

  • Chances are she means “salary protection” rather than insurance. A lot of banks do it, where you pay a small percentage of your chosen salary (i.e. what you regularly earn) per month. If you suddenly find yourself without work, it pays out your regular salary, to cover you.

    Last time I heard about it was about 15 years ago, and I have no clue how it’d work for freelancing – but that’s my guess!!

    SpikeTheLobster’s last blog post..The ScrawlBug Giveaway

    • Anne

      Salary protection… I want some of that!

Leave a Comment

CommentLuv badge

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Translate »