Of Creativity

Over on Twitter, Brian Clark of Copyblogger fame pointed to a post at LateralAction that poses this question: Are You Trapped in Black-and-White Thinking?

Wikipedia defines creativity as: a mental and social process involving the generation of new ideas or concepts, or new associations of the creative mind between existing ideas or concepts. Not a bad defintion, and the article there contains some interesting notions.

The trick for freelance writers is, of course, what we might call creativity on demand. I don’t know about you, but I can’t wait for the muse to arrive; I’ve got clients who want the writing they’re paying for delievered in a timely fashion.

Again, Brian Clark provides some valuable insights in an article called: How to Write Remarkably Creative Content.

LateralAction, a blog devoted to creativity, defines it’s title Creativity + Productivity = Success. That’s the short form. Take a moment and read the whole page. It’s positively illuminating.

The Renegate Writer Blog talks about being creative in: How to Be Creative/Motivated/Nurtured in These Hard Times.

Scott Adams of Dilbert fame tells us How to Be Creative.

I seem to be most creative when I first get up and again after a nap in the afternoon. I also find taking a shower can often spark some ideas.

How do you tap into your creativity? Let’s talk about it.

By the way, if you want to follow me on twitter it’s: http://twitter.com/AnneWayman

Write well and often,

Two newsletters:
Abundant Freelance Writing – a resource for freelance writers including 3x a week job postings.
Writing With Vision – for those who want to get a book written.

It's only fair to share...Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponShare on RedditEmail this to someone

Elizabeth West December 17, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Stay curious! Always be willing to learn something new, or explore something every day, even if it’s just a small thing like a website. Keep a childlike attitude about things. I don’t mean be child-ISH, but cultivate that sense of wonder people lose when they become adults.

I truly believe that artists of any sort are necessarily different than the rest of the population, and even though that can be hard, the rewards are immense. Embrace those differences and let them speak to you.

*was posting as Hannah but now my blog is up if anyone would like to read it*
Ephemera

Anne December 17, 2009 at 3:55 pm

Elizabeth, yes! Good one and although I am one of the most curious people you’ll ever meet I’d forgotten that’s part of my creativity… so why were you using Hanna?

Hannah December 17, 2009 at 5:40 pm

LOL I don’t know…it was the first thing that popped into my head. I rarely use my real name online. Even “West” isn’t right; it’s a shortening of my real last name, which will never fit on a book cover!

jorgekafkazar November 4, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Creativitity. Hmm. Not sure I can analyze it. Soup or fish alley, I say to myself: “Self, if I were you (and I am), I would make the worst or most unexpected thing possible happen to my protagonist. What is that?” Then I do it and let my hero flounder his way out of the resulting olio. (Early on, I’ve nailed his or her character down with a three page interview, so I rapidly know what (s)he’ll do.) It’s mostly an unconscious process, I’m afraid, but it helps to have several cats (to evoke the mews). And write lots of poetry. And read a lot. And attend plays. And have interesting friends.

Learn to turn off your self-censor. Always color within the lines, but add a bunch more lines. If the reader is expecting black or white, use gobs of chartreuse and heliotrope. Say to yourself thrice a day con brio: “I’m from Brazil, where the nuts come from.” That helps me a lot.
.-= jorgekafkazar´s last blog ..Tenirax, Ch V =-.

Kristen King December 1, 2008 at 3:28 pm

Excellent collection of links, sweetness. Good job! Thanks for the resources.

kk

Lori December 1, 2008 at 2:02 pm

Going into any new area, especially alone, gets the juices going. I find that the minute my mind slows down and I’m able to ease into my surroundings, the creativity goes crazy. It happens on nearly every vacation, every trip back home, every visit to relatives or anywhere where the work has been left behind.

Lori’s last blog post..The Great Big Internet Popularity Contest

Write and Earn a Living December 1, 2008 at 1:46 pm

I tend to store everything in my mental file and pull ideas out as needed.

If I’m stuck, taking a day off and walking along the beach or going for a drive usually gets the creative juices flowing again.

Write and Earn a Living’s last blog post..Writing Courses

Michelle Kafka December 1, 2008 at 12:28 pm

To get creative ideas flowing I usually see/hear something and then follow up with a what if…? I also look in magazines/books. I also look at the pics. on a greeting card and imagine something or other that usually sparks an idea.

Michelle Kafka’s last blog post..Blog Action Day 2008 – Poverty, Island Whispers Blog