Hate the Look of WordPress 3.8 Admin? You’re Not Alone! & There’s a Plugin!

in Way Off The Subject, Or Not

changeOkay, I know change is constant… that’s part of what zen is all about, learning to flex and respond rather than react.

This and my other blogs are built on a WordPress platform – I’ve used it for years (geeze, that’s true… time does fly as they say). I’ve upgraded when asked and generally all has been well.

This time, however, the powers that be at WordPress decided the administration area needed a whole new look!

I hate it.

Nothing is where I expect it to be… oh that’s not true, but the window I write in feels different. The menu bar on the left is black with white type… why? I have no idea. Is that supposed to be cool? It’s distracting to me.

Apparently I’m not the only one who is unhappy. I googled I hate wordpress 3.8 and it wasn’t long before I found a plugin that restores the look and feel of the admin page – it’s called wp-admin classicI downloaded it from new on my plugin page.

Of course, if you don’t have a WP blog none of this matters to you in the least.

A Takeaway for All Writers

The the trick that’s really worth noting is how I found the plugin – I googled a natural English phrase. Google is getting better and better at responding well to natural or normal English. Freelance writers particularly will find it worth at least trying a phrase when you’re doing research.

How do you handle search queries? Do you use any search engine but google? Which ones?

And if this was helpful, share it with your network.

Elizabeth West January 25, 2014 at 7:23 am

Unfortunately, I don’t think plug-ins work on wordpress.com blogs (the free ones).

My problem has been a weird code thing when I post from Word documents. I get this annoying header that shows all the document code and I have to switch to text and delete it, or it posts on my blog! This was not happening before they changed it. Grr.
Elizabeth West recently posted..Holy Cats, Someone’s Reading Tunerville! and Other Assorted StuffMy Profile

Steve Maurer December 22, 2013 at 5:50 pm

I may be the oddball, but I like the new look.

I’ve had no problems with it so far. Using the Genesis Framework and a StudioPress child theme for all the sites I work on.

However, it is good to know that the look of the old version is available.
Steve Maurer recently posted..The Seamstress and the CopywriterMy Profile

annew December 24, 2013 at 8:38 am

Hi Steve… I think I spoke way to soon on this one… but the plugin has made me a bit happier ;)

Steve Maurer December 24, 2013 at 8:59 am

Not a problem! To each his or her own.

Did you all realize, however, that you can change the color scheme of the admin pages without using a plug-in?

Just scroll down to “Users” and choose “Your Profile.” You have 8 cool color schemes to choose from.

That’s also the page where you can set other preferences, such as spelling and grammar settings, ignored phrases, and biographical information. You can enter your Google+ information, as well as other social media info.

This is where you also enable your author box for posts.
Steve Maurer recently posted..Avoid the Biggest Mistake Content Writers MakeMy Profile

annew December 24, 2013 at 9:13 am

Not until Cathy Miller pointed it out to me. But you’re telling me way more about it… it’s now on the list to explore! Thanks.

annew December 24, 2013 at 9:14 am

I didn’t, until Cathy Miller pointed it out… and you’ve given me more info – thanks!

Sharon Hurley Hall December 20, 2013 at 3:08 am

I don’t mind it that much, though I did change one of my blogs to the closest color scheme to the original one. :)
Sharon Hurley Hall recently posted..Promoting Your Website? How to Screw Up Your Guest Blogging CampaignMy Profile

annew December 20, 2013 at 10:31 am

I hate the black… and I probably spoke too soon.

Bill Swan December 19, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Oh good, this saves me from emailing you when I finally get to updating my admin section (again).
Bill Swan recently posted..How to Start a Lawn Business With No Equipment or CashMy Profile

annew December 20, 2013 at 10:30 am
John Soares December 19, 2013 at 3:22 pm

I haven’t upgraded either. I use a premium theme and I need to make sure it’s not going to break.
John Soares recently posted..The Best Way to Bid a Freelance ProjectMy Profile

Cathy Miller December 19, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Thanks for the heads-up, Anne. I haven’t upgraded yet as I was having a problem with one of my plugins.
Cathy Miller recently posted..LinkedIn Introductions Gone BadMy Profile