≡ Menu

Be Part of 1 Billion Rising On Valentine’s Day

one billion risingToday’s newsletter from SheWrites.com started with a reminder that this Valentine’s Day is the day 1 Billion folks will rise up, walk out, dance to demand that the violence against women stop.

Why? Well, from the site OneBillionRising.org we learn that:

I don’t know about you, but I don’t believe we can have peace or prosperity when one in three women will be raped or beaten in her lifetime.

What might the world be like if women knew they were safe?

How would it feel to know it was safe to go out at night, alone?

What would we be able to do if laws and tradition treated women with true equality?

There are events literally around the world to move us in these directions. Or you can start your own or you can go outside and dance on V Day.

See Ramona’s post about VDAY and watch that video. It’s a joy.

Will you strike and dance and rise? Tell us about it.

{ 8 comments… add one }

• Ramona February 15, 2013, 2:27 am

So, Chris, here it is, 5 AM and your comment not only forced me to wake wide it caused me to sit up straight. In my bed. Laughing my head off. At 5 AM. Before coffee.

Most of what you wrote is just plain silly (A billion women being raped put another billion women on this earth? I’ll bet you got the giggles when you wrote that), and the rest of it fits right into the “pretending to be clueless on purpose” range.

So hard to be a comedian these days. You wrote this hoping you would get a rise out of all the little gals out there and they’d come down on you like a horde of pink powder puffs.

But that’s not going to happen. Know why? Because when we’re not out there dancing we’re laughing at fools who think a few silly words about women and rape will get us so incensed we’ll forget about the real work ahead. Nice try at misogyny, fella. It needs work.

Now I’ll go get my coffee. That was fun.

• annew February 20, 2013, 7:21 am

Romona, I was late to this comment and took Chris’ comments down… I rarely do that, but this isn’t the proper forum. I did email him telling him I was doing so and offered to dialogue with him in another forum if he would send me the link. Geeze we’ve still got so very far to go. And I totally agree with you.

• Lori February 14, 2013, 5:22 am

Well, some of us in my meditation group just formed a charity called Neohumanist Initiative. One of our focuses for funding is anti-human trafficking, which is right along with protecting women, though in a broader scope. We’re working toward raising awareness and funding the efforts of those trying to combat the practice.

• annew February 14, 2013, 10:10 am

Good for you and your group… we need more like that. I’m part of The Buddhist Peace Fellowship and I know there are lots more organizations working on issues like this and sustainability.

• Jordan Riggle February 13, 2013, 10:21 am

I had no idea Valentine’s Day was about anything other than my significant other!

I told her, and it’s helped make the day even more important to us – as we celebrate each other and celebrate something larger than both of us.

Thanks for showing us this link! I’ll be back to read some more!

• annew February 14, 2013, 10:07 am

You’re more than Welcome, Jordan – be sure to dance!

• Ramona February 13, 2013, 6:24 am

I’m hoping every feminist writer out there (and every other writer, too) will be posting something about this today or tomorrow.

Thanks for doing it here. I’ve turned my blog pink until 2/16 and I’m spreading the word everywhere I can.

Ramona recently posted..VDAY. Ending Violence Toward Women and GirlsMy Profile

• annew February 13, 2013, 9:43 am

Thanks for the link… and I added yours to my post… let’s dance!