Waking up from time to time, I try to help

I am such a provincial American. By that I mean, like so many in my country, I tend to forget about the rest of the world much of the time. Yet when I look at Google Analytics I see that I have visitors from 153 locations!

Here’s the map that Google renders:

aboutfreelancewriting world around

If you look closely, you’ll see that the most readers are in English speaking countries. What surprises and delights me is I have readers all over the map!

What started me thinking about this is a job posting over at Global Voices. In truth, I don’t qualify although it looks like a heck of an interesting gig. But I started poking around on their site and ran smack into Syria: Cartoonist Detained For Criticizing AssadAli Farzat, a 60 year old cartoonist, wasn’t only detained, he was beaten and they broke his hands!

As I looked over their home page, I realized it’s not all bad news, although there are some shockers there. What I was seeing and I encourage you here in the U.S. to really look, was a global view – a view I have to work to get, although it’s easier these days with sites like Global Village.

Check out their Threatened Voices Project, and note we have four cases right here in the U.S. This project is: A collaborative mapping project to build a database of bloggers who have been threatened, arrested or killed for speaking out online and to draw attention to the campaigns to free them.

We writers need to know about these incidents. We need to speak out. I’ve added a Global Voices banner over on the right and it will take you to their site.

Check out Projects and consider taking one on. I’ve made an appointment with myself to look this page over carefully and consider how I can help.

When I look deeply within I notice a couple of things:

First, in many ways I’d rather not know… about pain and hunger, and murder and rape, and…

Second, I also know that as long as one person is being mistreated, I cannot be truly free. We are all connected. As Thich Nhat Hanh says, “we interare.” He’s right, however you say it.

Waking up from time to time, I try to help. How about you?

Sydney Harrison October 26, 2012 at 5:57 am

Blogging is one of the greatest platform to have the world beside you, to fight against any kind of injustice, to talk about the people, to share your feelings with the rest of the world. Freedom of speech can never be snatched away from a human being.

Anne, you make a great step for all of our fellow bloggers who are in distress. Keep moving.
Sydney Harrison recently posted..vpsMy Profile

annew October 26, 2012 at 8:13 am

Thanks Sydney… watch for the yahoo group.

Ali October 25, 2012 at 12:00 pm

And Anne, I highly appreciate your initiative :)
Ali recently posted..What Neil Gaiman Wants The Modern Freelance Writers To Do (Video)My Profile

annew October 26, 2012 at 8:12 am

You know what, I’m going to start a yahoo group for us… maybe as writers we can think of some way to write something that will help. Or many things.

Okay, here’s the link for the group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/writersaskinghowcanwehelp/

I’ll post about this.

Ava Grace October 25, 2012 at 10:43 am

Your post reminds me about a girl – Malala Yousufzai of Pakistan who is now recovering in hospital after being shot in the head and neck by a Taliban militant. Her fault was that she demanded education for the girls!! Still just a kid but she turns into a global voice for sure.

Good initiative, Anne.
Ava Grace recently posted..cubic zirconia engagement ringsMy Profile

Ali October 25, 2012 at 11:59 am

Ava, I’m from Pakistan and I know a lot about the poor little girl – may she get well soon. I wonder how humans can hurt and even kill young ones of their own kind… young ones who don’t even know what their fault was. But some are shooting these poor, innocent children while ‘others’ are blowing them into pieces with drones.

Let’s all pray that peace may prevail all around the globe :)

annew October 26, 2012 at 7:56 am

Yes, I thought of her too when I was posting and I’ll bet she’s on global voices somewhere.

Valerie Bolden-Barrett October 24, 2012 at 7:20 am

Thanks, Anne. We must take out time to see what’s going on elsewhere and to show support for writers and others, here and abroad, who are being silenced–or worse. On a somewhat related issue in reverse, I’m annoyed when mainstream journalists rehash the same stories so that we have to find out about the stories you mention by accident. I’m also annoyed when mainstream journalists refuse to call out lies and distortions they’re well aware of in the stories they cover.
Valerie Bolden-Barrett recently posted..Can Writers and Editors Get Along?My Profile

annew October 24, 2012 at 10:33 am

Oh if only they’d ask us how to run things!

WritersWritingWords (Eleni) October 23, 2012 at 10:38 pm

There has been (at least) one case in Greece too — the blogger was killed.
Hurray for freedom of speech!
WritersWritingWords (Eleni) recently posted..The Dance of InspirationMy Profile

annew October 24, 2012 at 10:32 am

Scary isn’t it.

Charlotte Rains Dixon October 23, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Thanks for pointing these sites out, Anne. I’m like you, too often guilty of just not wanting to know. But I think we must be aware of what’s happening to our fellow bloggers and writers in order to change things.
Charlotte Rains Dixon recently posted..A Short Post on CommasMy Profile

annew October 24, 2012 at 10:32 am

You’re welcome. Maybe we can figure out how to do something jointly. I’m open to ideas at least.