≡ Menu

Writers Asking “How can we help?” An Invitation

Writers asking "How can I help?"I got some real support in comments for my post, Waking up from time to time, I try to help.

As a result I started a yahoo group with the idea that if we come together somehow we might make better witnesses and together discover ways we can help. I’ve called it: writersaskinghowcanwehelp. or Writers Asking “How can we help?

I based the name on the idea that I don’t know what people need, not really. Nor do I know how to make the world a better place or how to make a world that works for all beings.

I have my notions, but they are just my opinion.

I find it often more effective if I simply act as a witness first, making sure I’m hearing/seeing as accurately as I can.

Next, if it’s appropriate, I might ask “How can I help?”

I believe people have an innate sense of what they need and if I’m willing, I can hear that and respond rather than trying to impose on them what I think they need. My idea of a solution might look good, and might even help temporarily, but I will be much more effective if I ask, maybe more than once, and act from the answer I get, always checking to make sure I’ve heard correctly.

With that kind of thinking in mind, I set up a yahoo group.

You’re invited to join: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/writersaskinghowcanwehelp/

At the moment it’s set up so anyone can join, but I must approve the first message a new member posts. Let’s see what we can create.

Why the squirrel?

When I searched on how can I help in flickr through Creative Commons, Max Braun had titled this picture exactly that. Works for me!

What are my expectations? I’m working to have none and to be open.

What would you like to see happen with this group?

{ 14 comments… add one }

• Charlotte Rains Dixon November 16, 2012, 3:35 pm

Great idea, I’m going to go join the group.
    Charlotte Rains Dixon recently posted..Deconstructing Sacred Writing CowsMy Profile

• Daniel November 14, 2012, 2:53 am

Making a better world is about helping, and helping without asking rewards is the best reward you can ever have. So, how may I help you? It is funny I just found your blog, and now, I am joining your group.

• RR October 31, 2012, 5:20 am

The image of the squirrel is probably more appropriate than you might think – in Indian mythology, thousands of years ago Lord Rama built a bridge across the ocean to cross over to the island of Lanka where his Queen, Sita, was being held captive by a demon. Rama was helped in this task by creatures large and small including elephants, monkeys and yes, even squirrels who transported little stones and rocks to help build the floating bridge. Legend has it, Rama was so moved by the squirrel’s gesture, he gently patted and stroked its back in gratitude – which is how the Indian squirrel got its three stripes.

• annew October 31, 2012, 11:39 am

Love it! I had a hunch the squirrel was important somehow… this is a perfect story! Thank you so much. I think I’ll copy this to the yahoo group.

• Natalie Johnson October 30, 2012, 10:26 am

You have taken a noble approach to safeguard the voice of the bloggers from every corner of the world. It will be a honor to be a part of this group.

Keep it up Anne.
    Natalie Johnson recently posted..vpsMy Profile

• annew October 31, 2012, 11:37 am

Noble seems a bit strong, but thank you.

• annew November 6, 2012, 10:05 am

Noble? well, blush…

• Ava Grace October 30, 2012, 7:04 am

Appreciate the idea of Yahoo group. This is going to be a good platform for the bloggers to increase their brotherhood. Good initiative for sure :-)

• annew October 31, 2012, 11:36 am

lol, could be a good idea… I’m not even sure how to send a msg to it at the moment.

• annew November 6, 2012, 10:05 am

We’ll see how it goes… it’s one of those ideas that may work well… or not.

• WritersWritingWords (Eleni) October 29, 2012, 12:40 pm

Obliging little squirrel!
    I have to find my Yahoo! details, then I’ll come join the conversation.
    WritersWritingWords (Eleni) recently posted..NaNoWriMo 2012, Cassandra & A Book CoverMy Profile

• annew October 29, 2012, 1:43 pm

We’ll be glad to have you.