Think Proofreading Isn’t Important? Think Again…

editor catA guest post by Greg Walker

Proofreading. The word alone is enough to bore the socks off most writers. After going through the whole creative process and editing your work down to a work of art bordering on the sublime, you’re presented with the wearisome process of taking a magnifying glass to your sentences and going on a hunt for misplaced commas.

And yet…  misplaced commas can be very costly indeed. About as costly as futile full stops, pointless paragraph breaks, and using grandiose-sounding words in completely the wrong places (which can be spectacularly embarrassing—I speak from experience).

They are costly because mistakes get noticed, especially by eagle-eyed clients who are only too happy to point out each tiny error you make (you know the sort). That might lead to nothing more than a bruised ego but, egos aside, the cumulative effect of too many trivial errors can be devastating.

No matter how small the mistake, if the client decides that they would not have made the same error then they inevitably begin to question why they are paying someone to write for them in the first place.

But if you had any doubt about the seriousness of proofreading, here are some of my all-time favorite mistakes where even the most basic of final checks would have been enough to prevent monumental embarrassment.

1. It’s Welsh, But It Ain’t Right

We’ll start with the best of the lot. This mistake occurred in Wales a few years ago, where road signs are written in both English and Welsh, meaning translations are a frequent requirement.

After writing out the content of one particular sign, an anonymous official then sent it off to be translated. The email was returned soon after containing a sentence in Welsh. Job done.

It was only when the sign was put up in full public view that the full extent of the mistake became apparent.

The sign was split into two halves. The top half read: ‘No entry for heavy goods vehicles. Residential site only’. And below it, the Welsh translation.

It looked all well and good… unless you could read Welsh. For although the translation was certainly Welsh, it was not exactly a faithful translation of the English above it.

Instead, it read: “Am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated.”

It has since become the most famous auto-reply in the world. Or in Wales, at least.

2. Bad Advice from the King James Bible

The Bible. A source of inspiration and guidance to millions of people across the world. So here more than in any other book you’d think that careful proofreading was essential.

Unfortunately, the 1631 version of The King James Bible ended up providing some particularly bad advice to the faithful.

Most of it was fine, but if you happened to read Exodus 20:14, better known as the Seventh Commandment, you may have found the advice slightly conflicting with what you had been taught in church:

“Thou shalt commit adultery.”

The printers received a fine of £300 for their error, and the version, which became known as the ‘Sinners Bible’, was soon withdrawn. Eleven copies apparently still exist after nearly 400 years to remind us all of the potential perils of proofreading failure.

3. Red Faces on the Blue Side of Manchester

I’ve got a friend who supports Manchester City, now one of the biggest soccer teams in England. They have a fierce rivalry with Manchester United, who have seen far more success over recent years. So when Manchester City made it to the FA Cup Final in 2011, it was their moment to shine.

However, the event very nearly proved disastrous when some anonymous worker in the flag factory made a very bad mistake indeed.

It is customary on such occasions for the Football Association to print out tens of thousands of flags to give away to supporters on the big day. But just days before the event, the flags were delivered only to reveal that they all bore the name ‘Manchester United’.

Luckily they got changed in time, but heads had to roll over that blunder.

4. ‘Embarrassing’ Parker Pens Mistake

Translation mistakes make for some of the funniest proofreading blunders, and sometimes you really do have to wonder how such obvious mistakes were never caught out.

Parker Pens is one of those firms which is clearly not paying its proofreaders enough money, as was revealed so spectacularly when it decided to boldly enter the Mexican market.

The mistake arose due to one of the most notorious ‘false friends’ in English and Spanish translation. False friends are words which sound the same but mean very different things. The verb ‘to embarrass’ sounds a lot like ‘embarazar’… but ‘embarazar’ means ‘to become pregnant’.

So the company certainly made an impression, but perhaps for all the wrong reasons, when it made the surprising declaration that its pens ‘won’t leak in your pocket and make you pregnant’.

Anyone who knows Spanish would have easily spotted the error, so it’s a wonder that this one managed to get through the net. Or maybe it was all just some elaborate marketing ploy to make headlines?

Always Proofread

No one is foolproof. Writers will always make mistakes, and even careful proofreading is sometimes not enough to prevent errors from getting through. In fact, I’m almost certain someone will pick up on at least one mistake I’ve made in this article, even though I’ve proofed it twice.

Some writers hire professional proofreaders to check over their work before handing it in. Personally, I don’t do this. But I have built up my own little system to help me catch the real humdingers.

This involves writing and editing as early as possible, and then putting the work aside for a few days before proofreading it just before handing it in. I also have a list of the most common mistakes I make (‘their’ and ‘there’ seem to get mixed up on an embarrassingly frequent basis), and I do a quick check for these mistakes on every piece of work I deliver.

This catches most of the mistakes I make, and I’m certain that a few of my clients would not still be clients if I had regularly missed these errors.

So always proofread. It’s not fun, and there is no way to make it something that you look forward to doing. But it can prevent you making minor or major mistakes that can not only prove to be very embarrassing, but can also cost you clients.

How do you proofread your work?

Greg Walker is a freelance writer. He offers a free ebook called ‘Boost Your Writing Profits’ when you sign up for his email list at Pro Web Writing.

Two newsletters:
About Freelance Writing
Writing With Vision for those who want to write books.

Image: AttributionShare Alike Some rights reserved by SuziJane

Tom Slaiter January 7, 2013 at 1:50 am

Proofreading is definitely as important as some people make it out to be, it’s almost essential!

Thanks for the post :-)

annew January 8, 2013 at 4:45 pm

You’re welcome, Tom. Let me know if you want to do a guest post on the topic here… you’re obviously a pro.

Elizabeth West April 19, 2012 at 9:32 am

Ha ha ha, awesome examples. That’s a great kitty pic too. :)
Elizabeth West recently posted..Point of View and PlagiarismMy Profile

annew April 20, 2012 at 9:25 am

I liked the post and I love the pix!

Charissa April 17, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I let the writing marinate for a few days, hoping the fatty errors rise to the top for easier detection. Thanks for letting me join the conversation.
Charissa recently posted..Spring Allergies SymptomsMy Profile

annew April 18, 2012 at 10:01 am

Love the image of fatty errors coming to the top… like good cream… letting writing ‘yeast’ works.

Brenna April 17, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I used to have time to let work sit for a bit before the final proofread but I seem to be always short of time any more. Lots of work is a good problem to have but it does make for more errors. I hate that.
Brenna recently posted..Hey, I’m not MADE of moneyMy Profile

annew April 18, 2012 at 9:59 am

I know what you mean, Brenna… and I don’t have a good solution at the moment.

Ellen April 17, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I’m with Anne – I’ve read a lot of books where some error just jumped off at the page at me. Great (and funny!) article Greg. My trick to proofreading is do it hard copy if I can – I tend to do a much better job than if I do it on the computer.
Ellen recently posted..Carte blancheMy Profile

annew April 17, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Ellen, I’m with you… I do a much better job proofing on hard copy… the screen still isn’t great for reading… Wonder when I can get a monitor with eink like the kindle?

Stephanie April 17, 2012 at 9:07 am

I use my Kindle to proofread my own and my clients’ work. The different appearance it takes on a Kindle screen, as compared with the computer screen, makes it easier to spot mistakes that have slipped past so far.

annew April 17, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Interesting – which Kindle, the one with e-ink?

Jamie April 16, 2012 at 8:35 am

Yes, proofreading is definitely important. But doing it is really tiring, right? That’s why a lot of people nowadays would even pay someone just to proofread their articles since doing it isn’t that easy. Sharing this entry would truly remind us to always double check our work. Thanks!

Dawn April 16, 2012 at 4:49 am

If you have ever read a book from a really well known and respected novelist and as you were reading you encountered a really jarring printing error, that made a complete mess of a sentence or misspelled a word, you were probably really surprised because you expect the books you have paid good money for to have been thoroughly proofread and checked for any errors. Thankfully, it doesn’t happen too often.
Dawn recently posted..Limundo i Kupindo – Bezbedna Kupovina i Prodaja Preko InternetaMy Profile

annew April 16, 2012 at 9:26 am

Actually, it happens in almost every book…

Heidi19 April 16, 2012 at 4:33 am

Proofreading is very important, it’s like reviewing your work to make it perfect. Punctuation marks, grammar and spelling should be corrected before you submit your work.
Heidi19 recently posted..Different Stages Of Arowana Fry Still Attached To the Egg Yolk For Your Viewing Pleasure…My Profile

Luana Spinetti @ Writer's Mind April 16, 2012 at 3:57 am

Love the post! It made me laugh and it slapped some hard truths on my face. Well, that was educational. ;) Hehe.

I have to admit sometimes anxiety doesn’t let me proofread with the attention to detail I’d like to put, so I have a wonderful fiancé and two kind friends in the US who give my pieces a second or third read. I don’t know how many typos and mispellings would come up in my pieces without their help!

~ Luana S.
Luana Spinetti @ Writer’s Mind recently posted..7 Get-Out Remedies To Unending InterruptionsMy Profile

annew April 16, 2012 at 9:22 am

Friends and family as editors can be a help. I’ve been hoping MzTiz would study the picture and learn to spell… she may be trying because she’s been walking on the keyboard more.

Cathy Miller April 13, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I almost don’t want to leave a comment because it’s a sure-fire way to let loose with some kind of typo. I’m the Queen of typos in comments. :-)

I use a similar method to yours, Greg. I let the writing marinate for a few days, hoping the fatty errors rise to the top for easier detection. :-) I have a “cheat sheet” I use for a quick check (one I share on my site – hey why not share the pain?)

Loved your examples.
Cathy Miller recently posted..Lucky Posts in Friday the 13th LiteMy Profile

annew April 16, 2012 at 9:16 am

I know the feeling Cathy, but I make typos in posts too. Upsets some people. Greg’s tips work when you have time, which in blogging isn’t always possible.

Sharon Hurley Hall April 13, 2012 at 11:33 am

Proofreading is essential, all right! I always leave time to put writing aside for a couple of days so I’m not too close to it when I check it, but even then a typo can sneak through occasionally. Love those examples, Anne.
Sharon Hurley Hall recently posted..My Blogging Adventures 2012My Profile

annew April 16, 2012 at 9:15 am

The problem I have is not being able to see my errors unless I set the piece aside for a week… and even then…