What Kind Of Writing Do You Want To Do As A Freelancer? Breaking In 1

breaking in to freelance writingBreaking into freelance writing and making a living as a freelance writer seems mysterious, scary  and almost impossible at first. But if you’ve got any writing ability at all, and some persistence, it’s doable.

Start with deciding what  writing you want to do. This is not to limit your creativity or your dreams, but give you a place to begin.

Decide if you want to focus on fiction or non-fiction. Some writers do both but I think it makes sense in the beginning to focus on one or the other. If you’re going to write fiction you’re looking mostly at magazines, a few websites, and books. It’s probably easier to get a foothold in writing non-fiction. It’s also what I do and know best.

Will you write for clients or for yourself? By that I mean will you look for clients who will hire you to write on their behalf or will you seek out markets to sell your writing to? It’s not always easy to tell the difference between these two. One way to think about it is do you want to send queries or articles over the transom or book proposals to publishers or will you contact businesses to offer your service. Again, some writers do both, but I’m suggesting you start with one and as that develops, if you want, expand to the other.

Develop your marketing plan. As you get clear on the kind of writing you want to do, what kind of marketing you’ll need to do will also become obvious. For example, you’ll need a website and business cards no matter what kind of writing, but what those say will be determined by what you’re offering. Set some workable goals for your marketing plan – things like two phone calls a day, three queries a week, are the kinds of goals to begin with. Then, follow your plan and be willing to adjust often.

What kind of writing do you want to do?

Image: AttributionShare Alike Some rights reserved by Mark Drago

anne hathaway catwoman November 19, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog
and wished to say that I have truly enjoyed
surfing around your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again very
soon!
anne hathaway catwoman recently posted..anne hathaway catwomanMy Profile

Cindy Cullen Farmer November 21, 2012 at 5:22 pm

On the verge…blog established and personal story articles submitted in contests and magazines. I want to write inspirational and/or creative non-fiction. Still in research and prep mode, but I am excited to progress. Always a thanks for your information!

Ron's SEO Copywriting Blog November 18, 2011 at 3:22 am

I am stuck in non-fiction, especially finance and investment, but I would love to churn out a fiction bestseller someday…Can you do some articles on fiction? That would be great.
Ron’s SEO Copywriting Blog recently posted..How to Write What People Actually Want to ReadMy Profile

Anna October 30, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I want something so simple, but so hard to achieve – I want to write without restrictions, to write about myself in some simple but capturing way. I want to share..but at the same time not too much..
Anna recently posted..It is crazy how much do veneers cost nowadays!My Profile

Clara October 28, 2011 at 6:31 pm

I’m looking toward more magazine writing-sold one health article recently and working on promoting my motivational and personal development website for women. One step in the write direction to seeing my passion to fruition.
Appreciate all of the good advice Anne!

Clara.
Clara recently posted..Your “QI” Factor!My Profile

Anne October 31, 2011 at 10:44 am

Clara, sounds like a solid plan. Let us know how it works out.

Amelia Ramstead October 27, 2011 at 6:45 pm

I’m actually laughing out loud right now, because I’ve completely thrown myself into the “all of the above” category! I am editing a novel, which I’m hoping to have published, I love to write essays and blogs and articles about my own experience, and I also enjoy the challenge of creating articles for clients. I couldn’t even imagine picking just one!
Amelia Ramstead recently posted..Work-at-Home Parent vs. Stay-at-Home ParentMy Profile

Anne October 28, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I do most of it too… and if it’s working you don’t need to change a thing.

John Soares October 27, 2011 at 11:09 am

Anne, I decided early on to focus on nonfiction, even though I was tempted to write fiction. I told myself I could always write fiction later, once I’d established my freelance writing career.

Now fiction isn’t very important to me. My main creative writing outlet is composing haiku. Can’t get much shorter than that!
John Soares recently posted..The Best Way For Freelance Writers to Hold Themselves AccountableMy Profile

Anne October 27, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Lol, sometimes I think you and I are some sort of karmic twins – I’ve been working with 4 line gathas.