Improving your writing is an ongoing task for freelance writers. Of course, one of the best ways is to write regularly. It’s really hard to get worse at something we practice. But that’s not the only way.
Here are some great resources to help you get better at writing:
- John Soares, whom I’ve dubbed the productivity guru wrote Write Faster: 12 Top Tips for Freelance Writers. While faster isn’t always better, it’s surprising how often it is. Faster writing means you won’t get bogged down in perfectionism – one of John’s tips and one of mine.
- Cathy Miller’s blog has an interesting guest post called Twitter Business Writing Tips.
- How Writing Fiction Feeds into Business Writing is an intriguing guest post over at Lori Widmer’s Words on the Page.
- Jenn Mattern has a post called Managing Multiple Projects at her AllIndePublishing blog.
And these I’ve listed before, but they’re still great:
- Roger C. Parker who blogs at Published and Profitable pointed to Mary Jaksch‘s article over at CopyBlogger called 73 Ways to Become a Better Writer. It’s a formidable list of simple things you can do to improve your writing. My personal favorite is Read, think, read, write, ponder, write – and read some more although I was tempted by several others.
- Mary’s article points to a much shorter list at CopyBlogger called 10 Steps To Becoming a Better Writer by Brian Clark. It’s also an excellent list.
- Something called the Food Blogging Alliance has a nifty article called 11 Tips to Improve Your Blog Writing. It’s written by Garrett McCord who blogs about food at Vanilla Garlic. I love that name, Vanilla Garlic.
- Darren Rowse of ProBlogger wrote How to Use a Magazine to Improve Your Blog. This works at least two ways. It lets you target that particular magazine for your own submissions, and the more reading any writer does, the better. I’d add to Darren’s article pay attention to the ads – they tell you a great deal about the target reader.
What do you do to improve your writing skills?
Write well and often,
Image from http://www.sxc.hu