8 Blogs About How To Improve Your Writing – Resource Round Up

freelance writing schoolImproving your writing is an ongoing task for freelance writers. Of course, one of the best ways is to write regularly. It’s really hard to get worse at something we practice. But that’s not the only way.

Here are some great resources to help you get better at writing:

1. John Soares, whom I’ve dubbed the productivity guru wrote Write Faster: 12 Top Tips for Freelance Writers. While faster isn’t always better, it’s surprising how often it is. Faster writing means you won’t get bogged down in perfectionism – one of John’s tips and one of mine.
  2. Cathy Miller’s blog has an interesting guest post called Twitter Business Writing Tips.
  3. How Writing Fiction Feeds into Business Writing is an intriguing guest post over at Lori Widmer’s Words on the Page.
  4. Jenn Mattern has a post called Managing Multiple Projects at her AllIndePublishing blog.

And these I’ve listed before, but they’re still great:

1. Roger C. Parker who blogs at Published and Profitable pointed to Mary Jaksch‘s article over at CopyBlogger called 73 Ways to Become a Better Writer. It’s a formidable list of simple things you can do to improve your writing. My personal favorite is Read, think, read, write, ponder, write – and read some more although I was tempted by several others.
  2. Mary’s article points to a much shorter list at CopyBlogger called 10 Steps To Becoming a Better Writer by Brian Clark. It’s also an excellent list.

3. Something called the Food Blogging Alliance has a nifty article called 11 Tips to Improve Your Blog Writing. It’s written by Garrett McCord who blogs about food aVanilla Garlic. I love that name, Vanilla Garlic.
  4. Darren Rowse of ProBlogger wrote How to Use a Magazine to Improve Your BlogThis works at least two ways. It lets you target that particular magazine for your own submissions, and the more reading any writer does, the better. I’d add to Darren’s article pay attention to the ads – they tell you a great deal about the target reader.

What do you do to improve your writing skills?

Cathy Miller July 26, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Thanks for the shout-out – even if it’s not one I wrote LOL! :-D But, isn’t that the beauty of guest posts? Good content with little effort on your end. :-)
Cathy Miller recently posted..Health Care Tuesday Pits Brand Drugs Against GenericsMy Profile

annew July 27, 2011 at 11:26 am

And I’m easily confused ;)

jorgekafkazar July 26, 2011 at 2:00 pm

The John Soares post is good, but I’m not sure about several of his suggestions. “Do the Right Amount of Research” is rather vague. How much is too much? There’s no way to know when you’ve uncovered all the important facts, unless the topic is so simple, you can almost write it from your own head.

Several months ago, I was exhaustively following topic search links. After a long time, I discovered that the earliest “facts” were inaccurate. My later research also revealed that some sources were tainted by political considerations and prejudice. I pressed on.

Late one night (or was it morning?) I uncovered an obscure fact that, when combined with previously-found, apparently trivial items, changed the entire picture. I’ll attempt a screenplay adaptation later this year.

The “right amount” of research on a complex subject is something that can only be quantified after you’ve done too much.

annew July 27, 2011 at 11:27 am

And as you point out there’s really no way to quantify it for everyone…

Nina Lewis July 26, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Great articles with great ideas! The 8th step in Brian Clark’s spost (write when you don’t have something to say) is a hard one for me. In fact, I’m struggling with that at the moment for one of my blogs.

And Soares step 10 (get enough sleep) is a killer for me. I keep telling myself when I quit my full-time job (hopefully in the near future) that this will be doable. (Delusional? Probably.) My freelance writing bleeds late into the night at times. I’m not at my mental peak at that time. Rats. I still muddle through the writing.

annew July 27, 2011 at 11:28 am

Put together a plan for quitting your full-time job…hey, I’ll blog about that.

John Soares July 26, 2011 at 11:18 am

Thanks for including me in this list of excellent writing sites Anne. There are some high-quality writers I already know about, and a couple that I’m checking out now.
John Soares recently posted..Write Faster: 12 Top Tips for Freelance WritersMy Profile

annew July 26, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I love lists of resources that introduce me to new folks… you’re more than welcome John… that may have been how I found you.

annew July 27, 2011 at 11:28 am

You’re more than welcom.

Nicky Parry July 26, 2011 at 11:11 am

Great list of reads! I love Darren Rowse for his business sense – he epitomizes “how to target your audience”.
Nicky Parry recently posted..Medicine ManMy Profile

annew July 26, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Yes, Darren is good… even great.