30 Days of Writing Tips – Day 9 – Spell With Google’s Help

spelling for writersThis won’t come as a surprise to regular readers, but my spelling is highly creative. Often it’s a simple typo, but another truth is I don’t seem to have the kind of mind that remembers spelling or the rules about correct spelling.

The history of spelling leads me to believe they way we write our words isn’t as certain as many would like to believe. In fact, with texting we’re witnessing what will probably be recognized as a revolution in spelling.

Which doesn’t mean I shouldn’t work to mostly adhere to today’s spelling conventions.

And that’s exactly where Google can be a real help.

For example, if I want to talk about writing a journal in the past, I might very well write something like this: I journaled about the guest post I wrote.

It looks right, but Word doesn’t think so. Given what I know about my spelling, I enter it quickly in Google and am delighted to find I’ve gotten it right.

What about a word like conscience? In spite of the rhymes about i and e I often miss. Then, when the dreaded red squiggle appears I can’t see what my error is. But when I enter consceince, Google politely says: Search instead for conscience and presents results based on the correct spelling.

How cool is that?

How do you double check your spelling?

Sharon Hurley Hall February 6, 2012 at 2:33 pm

I sometimes use the spell check in the browser, though invariably it’s in the wrong variety. I write in both US and UK English so I often end up having to go back to Word and select the language to make sure the spell check is right.
Sharon Hurley Hall recently posted..8 Types of Blog Posts to Get Out of a Blogging RutMy Profile

annew February 7, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Hadn’t thought of the difference in UK and USA spelling and google… interesting.

Elizabeth West June 15, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Hee! I do this! :)

Bill Swan May 26, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Dictionary’s are nice, but Google is great in a pinch.
Bill Swan recently posted..Please Excuse the Technical DifficultiesMy Profile

annew May 27, 2011 at 11:03 am

Google’s also faster in many cases than pulling out a physical dictionary, or even going to dictionary.com

Priya Viswanathan May 12, 2011 at 11:24 am

Google and Dictionary.com are definitely very useful. For that notorious squiggle, I simply right click to find out what went wrong. In any case, you’re absolutely right about Word, Anne – it’s not always dependable as far as spelling goes! :)
Priya Viswanathan recently posted..WiFi-Only HTC Flyer Available for Pre-Order in the UKMy Profile

Jori May 11, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I use dictionary.com. In addition to spelling, they have games, trivia, and links to other reference material.

annew May 12, 2011 at 6:18 pm

me too jori, and their thesaurus too.

Amelia Ramstead May 10, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I use Google Chrome as my browser so it corrects my spelling regardless of what I’m working on. Which means that even on Facebook my spelling is impeccable
;-) And yes, I have been known to Google a word every now and then when I’m really stumped!

annew May 10, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Yes, in truth it’s become less and less necessary to use google, except for oddities.

Wendy May 7, 2011 at 9:53 pm

If there is a red squiggle under a typed word, you should be able to right click the word, using your mouse, and some correct word options appear to choose from. Just select the one you want with a click!
Wendy recently posted..Antoinette Age 70 Calgary CanadaMy Profile

annew May 8, 2011 at 10:55 am

Of course, but word doesn’t always know. And neither does word press – the two programs I use the most. Then Google can come to the rescue. So, of course, can a dictionary, online or off.