30 Days of Writing Tips – Day 21 – Use The Phone Book To Find Clients

cold calling for writersCarol Tice reminded me of this tip when she tweeted it a day or so ago. My hunch is we both got it from Peter Bowerman, or maybe we both found it on our own – who knows!

Nonetheless, here’s how to do it:

1. Dig out your yellow pages – if you’re recycled them, go to the library and find one.
  2. Page through to a business classification you know a bit about.
  3. Start cold calling.

Okay, you’ll also need a script.

Chris Bibey over at AllFreelanceWriting has some great cold calling tips.

Yes, I know cold calling isn’t your favorite thing to do – mine either, but it works.

Try making 5 cold calls a day, 5 days a week for two weeks. My hunch is you’ll get at least writing assignment.

Let us know how it works for you.

30 Days of Writing Tips Archive

Write well and often,

Anne

Two newsletters:
Abundant Freelance Writing – a resource for freelance writers including 3x a week job postings.
Writing With Vision – for those who want to get a book written.

cold calling alternative October 4, 2012 at 11:56 am

I’m curious to find out what blog system you have been utilizing? I’m experiencing some minor security issues with my latest site and I’d like to find something more secure. Do you have any recommendations?

annew October 9, 2012 at 7:30 am

This is a wordpress blog using the Thesis theme. I’m not sure I’d recognize minor security issues.

Susan K May 30, 2011 at 5:04 pm

This may already be one of your tips (if it is, then please delete!), but for the people who don’t like cold calling (I don’t!), sending out email letters of introduction seem effective and easier to me.

Also, the companies that need you respond immediately or even months later (because it is saved), or sometimes even forwarded to to other companies that need your services.

You can find lists dependind on your niche area in all kinds of locations, from googling, LinkedIn, etc.
Susan K recently posted..WordleMy Profile

annew May 31, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Hmmmm… you’ve had better luck with email intros than I have… want to do a guest post on them for us?

Bill Swan May 26, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Wow talk about going old school! But as I read in other blogs – what would you do if you didn’t have the Internet or a computer?

annew May 27, 2011 at 11:03 am

Bill, the yellow pages also means I can write on the darn thing… which helps when cold calling.

Amelia Ramstead May 26, 2011 at 12:41 pm

This may be a stupid or naive question, and if so I’m sorry. Should I have a business license before I try cold calling people?
Amelia Ramstead recently posted..Oh Noes!My Profile