I often visit the blogs of folks who comment here.
It’s fun to see what you’re up to and I often learn of a resource or find something I didn’t know about.
Sometimes, however, the experience is extremely frustrating. Here’s what just happened.
- I went to a blog listed in comments by CommentLUV.
- I liked the post and added a comment.
- The site required me to login before I could post. I picked an option I though would work and it didn’t.
- My post was lost.
- I looked for contact information so I could tell the site owner about the problem.
- Clicking contact had the site asking me if it was okay to load an application.
Geeze! Is it any wonder I gave up?
What if I’d been a potential client?
Or a long-lost friend?
Or someone really important?
No, I’m not going to name the blog. Instead I’m going to make a suggestion.
Go to your own blog as a user.
Now, try to post a comment. Is it easy? The simpler it is the more comments you’ll get, and comments lead to more traffic. If it isn’t easy, fix it. If you don’t know how, find out how. (By the way, if you’re afraid of spam, Askismet is a free plugin that will get rid of most of it.)
Now, pretend your a client. Is it really easy to find out how to send an email? Try it and make sure it works. This is doubly true if you’re using a comment form.
What about a phone number? Over time, posting my phone number has caused way more work than it’s caused problems, really!
Give yourself and your readers and potential clients a break. Visitors and readers won’t jump through hoops. Make it easy.
Have you tested your own site recently? What did you find out?
Write well and often,
Image from http://www.sxc.hu