≡ Menu

National Novel Writing Month – NaNoMo – It’s On The Horizon

Click to buy this poster from NaNoMo.

Yes, the madness known as NaNoMo or National Novel Writing Month is almost upon us.  Every November writers work to create a brand new 50,0o0 word novel in 30 days.

Why? Why not! If your goal is to write fiction and you’ve had problems, maybe this will get you started and show you that you can indeed write a book in a month.

Oh, it may not be a great novel. Heck, it probably won’t even be a very good novel – but the rewriting and editing can happen later, say in December or even all of 2011.

You’ll need to write about 1667 words a day for 30 days to meet the goal.

You don’t have to do this alone. In fact, a major purpose of NaNoMo is NOT to do it alone. You’ll find communities literally ’round the world where you can meet people f2f, forums of several sorts and even a Young Writers Program.

Once again I’ve signed up. Maybe this time I’ll actually get it done.

What about you?

Graphic is a poster which is available from NaMoMo

{ 18 comments… add one }

• Darlene Reilley October 20, 2010, 6:52 pm

I’m a regular reader and thank you so much for covering NaNo! I’m a 5th year participant, and second year ML for Tacoma::Pierce County. You’ll find me under my NaNo Name…Trilli…on the forums. We do all we can to promote NaNo, but your note will reach a lot of people. And if anyone needs inspiration for writing…this is a fabulous place to get it.

Write On!

• annew October 21, 2010, 11:01 am

Darlkene, I’m wiggling with pleasure – thanks back atcha.

• Elizabeth West October 20, 2010, 3:20 pm

I’m thinking about doing it just to finish my WIP. I can’t enter because you have to start from scratch, and there’s no way I’m scrapping what’s already done! But the push might help me get it finished.

That’s a good idea, Lauren, about keeping track on your blog. I might do that too. I could post my word count and include links to NaNo. :)
    Elizabeth West recently posted..Vocabulary – B GoodMy Profile

• Lauren Dugan October 20, 2010, 2:36 pm

I’ll be participating too! In my own way though… I’m not a fiction writer, so I’m targeting the 50,000 words with a few smaller non-fiction projects: a few ebooks, some reports, worksheets and such.

I won’t be signing up on the NaNoWriMo website, but I will be keeping track of what I accomplish on my blog.

Good luck to everyone who is participating!
    Lauren Dugan recently posted..Challenge Yourself to Take Your Writing to the Next LevelMy Profile

• annew October 21, 2010, 11:05 am

Maybe this is what I should do with a quasi fiction but more non-fiction book I’ve got on a back burner.

• Kristy October 20, 2010, 2:06 pm

I’m in North County San Diego- and this is going to be my first Wrimo and first real foray into fiction writing… I’m really excited to see what comes out!

I love hearing of others that have committed to it each year and the excitement around it and the camaraderie.

My pen name is fizchick there.

• annew October 21, 2010, 11:04 am

Kristy, I’m in San Diego proper… or improper… City Heights area… what part of N. County? I grew up in Fall brook.

• Sarah Elisabeth October 20, 2010, 12:06 pm

Yay for NaNoWriMo craziness! This will be my fifth straight year, the last my first win. My pen there is PrincessLaughingEyes. What’s y’alls?

• annew October 20, 2010, 12:19 pm

I haven’t picked one… probably aboutfreelancewriting or something. Five years? Any luck with the novels after?

• Sarah Elisabeth October 20, 2010, 12:38 pm

Well, I was a bit of a rebel and worked on the same novel for three of those years 😉 But I finished it at around 95,000. That felt great! I’ve put the revision aside for now as I work on another project – publishing my first book, a collection of inspirational short stories :-) Writing these stories is my rebel NaNo for this year!
        Sarah Elisabeth recently posted..‘What Do You Feel’My Profile

• Wendy S. Johnson October 20, 2010, 9:56 am

I’ve been wanting to do this for the last couple of years. This year, I finally decided to go for it, so I signed up as well.

• annew October 20, 2010, 12:19 pm

Good for you. Let us know how it goes.

• Cathy Miller October 20, 2010, 9:18 am

Scary, but I just might give it a shot. Although I have the 3-Day Walk for Breast Cancer in November so I’m not sure, but it certainly is tempting.

BTW, Anne – let’s try to get together when I’m in San Diego. I’ll be there from 11/13 to 11/17 and then I’ll be tied up with the Walk from 11/18-11/22. Shoot me an email or call me. :-)
    Cathy Miller recently posted..Do Your Case Studies Tick Off Your Best CustomersMy Profile

• annew October 20, 2010, 12:22 pm

Heck, Cathy, no one will know… not scary, not exactly. 😉

email sent re visit, but YES!

• Christy Smith October 19, 2010, 8:23 pm

Hi Anne! I’ve done it twice- it’s an awesome feeling. I know you can do it- and if you’d like another cheerleader let me know. :)

• annew October 20, 2010, 12:26 pm

I need all the cheerleaders I can get 😉 and I cheer back. Are you going for it this year?

• Tracey October 19, 2010, 7:59 pm

I wish that the poster had said, “Let your imagination REIGN.” I know that it’s a pun, but the problem is that a great many people get the reign/rein/rain homonym mixed up. So this just gives the confusion legitimacy.

Five’ll get you ten that at least one person in the coming year will say, “But it’s supposed to be ‘Let your imagination rain’! I saw it when I was writing for NaNo!”

• annew October 20, 2010, 12:27 pm

Says something about education these days doesn’t it.