Can’t Get Your Writing Project Started? Just Start Anyway!

Recently I was hired to ghostwrite a book. I spent time reading the material the author who hired me provided. The author and I created both a Vision, a ten word purpose and a working table of contents. We discussed what we thought belonged in the first three chapters. In other word, all the preliminary work had been done and it was time for me to begin writing.

I’m still not sure why, but I had real resistance to beginning the writing.  When this happens, I wonder if it’s laziness or actually part of the creative process. It’s hard to be sure.

Although I usually trust my writing process, I realized I’d begun some excuse making. You may even recognize some of my less than positive self-talk that kept me from the computer for a couple of days. It included:

• I believe we ought to do the book differently – absolutely true, but it’s not my decision. I can advise, and make suggestions, and explain my reasoning, but since I’m the ghost, the author gets to decide. And the truth is, the client’s way isn’t bad.
  • I don’t know how to do it this way. Okay, I’ve had to change my thinking and that did require a bit of pacing around, but the client’s way is totally doable.
  • I don’t agree with the author on a couple of other issues, issues that are major points in the book. Guess what? I don’t have to agree. I do, however, get over the notion I know best. It’s his book, not mine. My only real question is can I write it that way? And the answer is yes.
  • I don’t know how to start… ah, this is familiar.
Here’s how I actually get started even when I’m feeling stuck:

First, open a new document

As silly as it seems, starting may be a simple as opening a new document; if you save it right away, you’ll have to think of a file name and that may be enough to get you going.

If not, give the new document a title… a working title. Something that sums up what this work will be about. It doesn’t have to be a good title – that can come later. Just get something down.

Next, put some words on paper

When I look back, I realize I rarely know exactly how I want to start a piece of writing. I also know that it’s not unusual to throw out the first couple of sentences or paragraphs or even pages as the work develops. Lord knows, when I was editing magazines and newspapers, I often threw out introductory material.

But if I don’t start putting words on paper, or on the screen, there won’t be any poor stuff to throw out, or good stuff to keep.

Finally, write!

Start writing. Don’t worry about great opening lines, get something down. Get a first line written down even if it’s something silly and dumb like “This book is about (fill in the blank.)” Then write another sentence, and another.

No editing or rereading allowed at this point. Your goal, in this initial session, is simply to fill up a page or two – say 400-800 words double spaced.

If you run into problems, note them brackets [ ] so you can find them easily later on  and keep writing.

Often, by the time you get toward the bottom of the second page, or the top of the third, you’ll know where you going. Take a break;  make a phone call or fix a second cup of coffee. Go away from the writing for a few minutes.

Now, come back and read what you’ve written. Do some gentle editing if you must, but nothing too serious yet, that will come later.

Chances are you’ll discover you’ve written yourself on track. You’ll know what you need to write next. You can keep writing for an hour or so at this point, or quit on that project for the day, knowing you’ll be just fine because you’ve actually gotten started.

How do you get started writing when you’re stuck?

Photo by Mateusz Stachowski at http://www.sxc.hu

KritoldShtern May 13, 2009 at 10:10 am

Thanks for advice! It helped me a lot!

admin February 18, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Well, what do you want to do? If you want to write, and it’s perfectly okay not to want to write, words must somehow get on paper… so what do you want/

MD.Moniruzzaman February 18, 2009 at 5:33 am

I admit that it is easy to write for some people but i cann’t start where is the beganing? and what to write ?Moreover , i am too Lazy . what to do?

admin February 14, 2009 at 10:23 am

I bribe myself that way too… I also book end… I’ll blog about that later today or tomorrow.

admin February 14, 2009 at 10:15 am

You’re welcome, glad to do it, glad it’s appreciated.

cyramiles February 13, 2009 at 11:01 pm

Hi Anne.. thanks for the tips.. It is really valuable..

cheers

cyramiles’s last blog post..Investment in a Hobby

Kelly February 13, 2009 at 2:07 pm

When I’m procrastinating about ANYTHING, I set a timer for 10 minutes and say to myself, “You only have to work for 10 minutes and then you can take a break. Surely you can clean, work, write, etc. for only 10 minutes!” Usually after 10 minutes, I’m excited about the bit of progress I’ve made and either I do take a 5 minute break or I keep working. I can always take a 5 minute break and then set a timer for another 10 minutes if I’m still having trouble dedicating myself to the task.

Kelly’s last blog post..Learning About the Beliefs Behind Child Misbehavior in Parenting Workshop, “Misbehavior Detectives”

admin February 12, 2009 at 2:23 pm

lol, Jeremy, I’m only laughing because it’s been such an absurd morning… had the most amazing go ’round with my bank, first their telephone tree… thanks the goddess for sites like http://www.get2human.com/.. then their assurance (?) they are protecting me from fraud when it looks like total incompetence to me… anyway, you’re not the only one who noticed and it’s not really funny I guess… certainly didn’t mean any racism, even unconsciously. Thanks for letting me know and being startled rather than offended.

A

Amy February 12, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Opening a document and naming it helps a lot, I find. When I’m experienceing resistance, I’ll start writing a few, probably not that great, sentences, and I feel like an eight-year-old. I’m thinking, “This is hard. I don’t wanna do this. I need espresso. Maybe I should give the dog a bath.” As I continue writing, the voice starts to quiet down. Eventually I got wrapped up in the work, and I wonder what I was waiting for.

Amy’s last blog post..The Art of the Workshop

Jeremy Hay February 12, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Nice article but I have a question: How do you ghostwrite a GOOK. Check your lede, please; as an Asian American, it’s a rather startling suggestion! :)

Meg February 12, 2009 at 11:31 am

Excellent advice about opening a new doc… otherwise I’m apt to check and recheck my email instead of getting to work. (I have to remember that sitting at my desk doesn’t count as work the way it did when I had a 9-5 job)

Meg’s last blog post..Momo’s Quest

Isaac February 12, 2009 at 10:33 am

Have you ever heard of the Felt Sense. It’s an interesting idea that Sondra Perl applies to writing. It basically means that your body knows when you’ve said what you want to say. Your idea is correct; start putting words down. Your felt sense will tell you when you’re on to something.

If you want to read more: http://www.wayswithwordsonline.com/2008/10/composing-guidelines-and-felt-sense.html

Isaac’s last blog post..Jeff Deck: the Indiana Jones of Typos