Are You Backed Up? Off Site?

One of the truths about computers is we need to back up our data – not just on an external hard drive or other device, but off site as well. Another truth is back up is a pain in the patooty and lots and lots of us put it off.

Which means, when the hard drive goes down, or the laptop gets stolen, we’re up the creek.

Fortunately there’s a real solution. It’s Carbonite Online Backup. Unlimited backup–secure and encrypted, for just $49.95 per year. I’ve been using it for a couple of months now. There’s a free trail, it’s easy to install, and it operates almost without any attention to me. Carbonite is designed to back up only when my computer isn’t busy. My files are safely stored someplace other than my home office.

I read the instructions for restoring and they made sense to me. I called customer service and someone answered. I even went though the instructions to see what had been backed up, and as near as I can tell, every single file in my universe is now safe. And I didn’t have to do much at all.

Since the darn thing backs up when the computer is quiet, my backup is current. All without me paying any attention at all. How cool is that?

Yeah, if you buy through the link, I’ll make a commission. None-the-less: Try Carbonite Online Backup FREE for 15 days and back up your irreplaceable files automatically and securely. No credit card required! I suggest you get started right away.

jorgekafkazar December 17, 2010 at 1:53 am

But what does this have to do with turning docs to pdfs free?

Carol Tice December 8, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Hey Anne — I have Carbonite! It’s OK…but I want to switch to Time Machine. Just upgraded to Snow Leopard so I can do so.

Carbonite is just recreating your current desktop in real time. In Time Machine, you could go back a month and see what you had, or a week ago, or a day. More flexibility…can’t wait to get it up and going!
Carol Tice recently posted..My First Webinar- 7 Hard-Earned LessonsMy Profile

Karl Rohde March 25, 2010 at 1:15 am

Carbonite is great for more regular backups. Dropbox is better for work in progress.

I use Dropbox for my various PCs (2 at home and 2 at the office) Saves in having to carry a USB key (which I almost lost recently with LOADS of stuff on it)

You can also restore deleted and overwritten files with Dropbox which just saved me a whole lot of pain.

You can get 5GB of free space from Dropbox by inviting other people to join (for free).
.-= Karl Rohde´s last blog ..The “Cold Call” Email – An Introduction =-.

Anne March 25, 2010 at 9:46 am

Thanks Karl… since carbonite backs up all the time in the spaces as it were, I feel pretty well protected with works in progress… but mostly I want everyone to be backed up offsite however they do it. And Carbonite has an affiliate program…

Elizabeth West March 24, 2010 at 4:29 pm

I am trying a free one called DropBox (well, actually you only get 2 GB free; any more than that and you have to pay). At least the book is backed up in case a catastrophe attacks both my computers AND my flash drive. It’s on a CD in my safe too but something could go wrong there.

I don’t want to have to write the whole thing again. :P
.-= Elizabeth West´s last blog ..Get Off Your Tuchus! =-.

Anne March 24, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Mozy is another one… it may be free… but I spend the money for carbonite… just not worth it not to for me.

Heidi Fogle January 25, 2010 at 6:33 pm

I used your link and I’m impressed with the product. Thank you for writing about it.
.-= Heidi Fogle´s last blog ..Smart Reader =-.

Anne January 26, 2010 at 10:59 am

Thank you… I like it.

Anne January 24, 2010 at 7:44 pm

It’s magic… I truly love it… use my affiliate link or your friend’s and one of us will make a nickel.

Heidi Fogle January 24, 2010 at 7:23 pm

I just heard about this from a friend. It sounds too good to be true, so I was dragging my mouse and procrastinating until I read your blog! Thanks! Again, you answered my question before I asked!
.-= Heidi Fogle´s last blog ..Smart Reader =-.

jorgekafkazar September 14, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Yeah, hard drive crashes look a lot different when you’re actually there. Even a power failure can cause you to lose hours and hours of data. Most systems are so reliable, people have gotten lazy and aren’t backing up the way they used to. Time for me to do a backup of all my writing output. Thanks for the reminder, Anne.
.-= jorgekafkazar´s last blog ..Tenirax, Ch V =-.

Anne September 14, 2009 at 1:44 pm

The thing I really like about Carbonite is I don’t have to remember to back up… it does… also realized recently that I can access my files that are backed up there from anywhere I can get online. Nifty.