If you’re going to write a book, eventually both its cover and it’s interior need to be designed. Trade publishers handle that for authors, although they may take suggestions. Self-publishers either have to do the design themselves or hire someone else to do it.
With that in mind, here is a small selection of blogs addressing the design of book covers and book interiors:
- SoroDesign – their tag says “Book Design, Book Interiors and Author Website and their infrequent blog posts reflect on book design, how tech developments effect books and book marketing. The link to their portfolio is a delightful collection of book covers.
- The Book Design Review - a well illustrated discussion of book design with some fascinating comments on most posts. And darn, there are some books there I’d like to read.
- 1106 Design - subtitled, in part, musings, that’s exactly what this blog does – muse and in the processs explain much about what goes into book design and production.
- Covers – Put together by Fwis, full service design agency, this blog lets the covers speak for themselves, and they aren’t all by Fwis. Or maybe a better way to say it is the covers are there and the commenters provide the info. Fun.
- Caustic Cover Critic - James Morrison’s blog is weirdly fascinating. Yes, it’s about book covers and book design; it’s also a great way to see how a person’s world view colors things like book covers and book design.
Image from http://www.sxc.hu